• Training: tailor-made training sessions (autism awareness, sensory processing disorders, autism and behaviour and differentiating the curriculum for autistic pupils).
• Consultancy & Report Writing for individual pupils.
• Planning: how to adapt the National Curriculum to individual needs.
• Assessment using PIVATS.
• National Autism Standards.
• Support with transitions.
• Set up autistic units.
• Work systems: SCERTS and TEACCH.
• Enhanced communication systems: MAKATON, PECS, Talking Mats.
• Person-Centred Plans
• Inclusive strategies including peer awareness training, in-class strategies and play time schemes.
• Direct Intervention: model activities, social skills groups, 1:1 sessions, set up workstations and activities and specific creative projects especially designed for autistic pupils.
• Resources: visual timetables, social stories, cue cards, emotion cards, video modelling etc. All resources available in English or Spanish.
• Liaison between families and professionals.
areas of intervention
Coming from a teaching background, I understand the difficulties that teachers, SENCOS and TAs experience when planning, assessing and working with an SEN pupil. I can provide them with hands-on, practical strategies. I am also aware of the increasingly high demands that OFSTED is putting on schools and academies to meet the needs of students with SEN. Bearing in mind the constant increase in population, the fact that most special needs schools are full and that there are not sufficient funds to invest on new ones, it will result in mainstream settings taking on an increasing number of pupils with SEN. Schools will have to be equipped with the necessary resources to deal with this situation, as proposed on the new SEN reform that will soon come into action.